We teach young people to create powerful images and tell stories without words. They teach us how to see the world.
PhotoU is all about encouraging creative self-expression and empowering students to become not just photographers, but storytellers. Classes are designed around various skill levels and focuses, but the goal always remains the same: to add new voices to the global narrative of what it means to be a boy, a girl, a friend, a student, a dreamer, an individual, a human.
Photos can change the way we see our world, each other and ourselves, and young photographers can change the photos we see.
What we teacH
- Camera Operation - shooting in manual mode for optimum control and creativity.
- Photo Composition - studying the work of great photographers and learning techniques to arrange photos that are both beautiful and compelling.
- Visual Literacy - learning to "read" others' photos and to "speak" through our own.
- Creative Storytelling - exploring a chosen issue, idea or topic and using photos to illustrate it.
- Critical Thinking - analyzing the world around us and seeing things from new perspectives.
- Artistic Vision - learning to develop our own styles and aesthetics by drawing inspiration from other artists and everyday life.
- Self-Confidence - learning a new skill, producing a body of work, discovering we have a story to tell and telling it!